Discover the powerful immune & metabolic benefits of the most interesting compound from coconut oil.
Monolaurin is a fat derived from coconut oil that was discovered in the 1960's.
Mother's naturally produce monolaurin in breastmilk - coconut oil is the best natural source in the diet.
Coconut oil is predominantly comprised of a medium chain fat known as Lauric Acid. Lauric acid gives coconut its best & most unique qualities.
When you consume lauric acid in the form of coconut oil, only a small percentage is converted into monolaurin. Monolaurin has distinct benefits from lauric acid - as it works as one of nature's best antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal compounds.
In addition to its antimicrobial properties, monolaurin may help balance hormones, cholesterol, and metabolic health.
Here's a selection of some of our best content on monolaurin benefits:
- Monolaurin - A Secret Coconut Oil Compound with Powerful Immune Benefits
- Upgrade Your Immune Support Arsenal with Monolaurin
Health Benefits of Monolaurin
- Natural Support for Candida Fungal Infections
- Rethinking Treatment of PANDAS and Similar Neuro-Immune Conditions
- Probiotics and C Diff - What Probiotics Should Be Taken With or After Treatment with Antibiotics
- Epstein-Barr Virus: Understanding Its Role in Autoimmunity and Cancer
- The 7 Core Strategies to Heal the Gut Lining & Manage Leaky Gut
Metabolic Benefits of Monolaurin
Monolaurin is a medium chain fat. It is metabolized by the same pathways as capric, caprylic and lauric acid. MCT oil comprises capric and caprylic acid.
Monolaurin is a monoglyceride, not a triglyceride. It circulates in the blood as a monoglyceride, while MCT's will be broken down and reassembled into other fats. This is why only a small percentage of lauric acid will become monolaurin in the body.
When you read about the unique benefits of MCT's or coconut oil, many of those same properties are shared by monolaurin.
- Key Metabolic Differences of Eating Fats from Coconut and MCT oil
- Coconut Oil and Heart Disease
- Study Compares Soybean Oil and Coconut Oil on Belly Fat