Why Traditional Probiotic Strategies Don't Work & What to Do Instead...
We read endless reports of the benefits of taking probiotics.
It makes it that much more frustrating when they don’t seem to be working for you.
Why might they not be working for you?
Let’s explore the most common reasons why!
Low Diversity of Gut Flora is Behind Most Gut Problems -
But... Add Diversity Back in Stepwise Fashion
Some probiotics may be over-stimulating short-term - start with balancing & conditioning microbes like Bifidobacteria & Spore probiotics, respectively. Start low and work up with all probiotics, and, introduce Lactobacillus & prebiotics later in your protocol to avoid unintended probiotic side effects.
I've summarized a sample progression of how to take probiotics and prebiotics & introduce them in a stepwise order!
- Probiotics and C Diff - What Probiotics Should be Taken with or after Treatment with Antibiotics?
- The 7 Core Strategies to Heal the Gut Lining & Manage Leaky Gut Naturally
- Health Benefits of Bacillus Microbes **
- The Many Benefits of Bifidobacteria: Keystone Microbes for Gut and Immune Health
- The Megasporebiotic Leaky Gut Study - The randomized, double-blind clinical trial that put spore probiotics on the map!
- The Megasporebiotic and Megaprebiotic Microbiome Diversity Study - Proven synergy between two of Microbiome Labs' most popular products.
- Spore Probiotics and Mental Health
- Complete Megasporebiotic Resource Page
- Probiotics and IBS - What Does the Evidence Tell Us?
- Research Insight: Bacillus Microbes & Rheumatoid Arthritis
- What are Prebiotics and Probiotics?
- Megasporebiotic (Bacillus indicus, Bacillus subtilis, Bacillus coagulans, Bacillus licheniformis, Bacillus clausii)
- TruBifido (Bifidobacterium lactis [3 strains], Bifidobacterium bifidum, Bifidobacterium breve)
- Theralac (Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium lactis, Lactobacillus rhamnosus, Lactobacillus paracasei, Bifidobacterium lactis)
- RestorFlora (Saccharomyces boulardii, Bacillus clausii, Bacillus subtilis)
- HU58 (Bacillus subtilis)
- TruFlora (Lactobacillus salivarius, Lactobacillus plantarum, Bacillus coagulans)
- MegaPrebiotic (Galacto-oligosaccharides, Fructo-oligosaccharides, Xylo-oligosaccharides)
- SunFiber (partially-hydrolyzed guar gum) - one of the most researched fibers
- TruFiber (partially-hydrolyzed guar gum [Sunfiber], plus a small amount of inulin)
- Biotagen (inulin, beta-glucan, arabinogalactan)
- Prebiotics - not just Starch and Fiber! Using Plant Polyphenols as Prebiotics
- Dietary sources: Diverse vegetables, roots, tubers, & varieties of everyday fruits & vegetables containing starches, fibers, polyphenols & flavonoids.
- MegaMycobalance (Undecylenic acid & Bee propolis)
- Oregano Oil
- GI Microb-X (Tribulus extract, Sweet wormwood extract, Magnesium caprylate [caprylic acid], Berberine sulfate, Grapefruit extract, Barberry extract, Bearberry extract, Black walnut extract)
- Colloidal Silver
- Article: Elemental Diet - What is it? How Does it Work? When is it Used? What to Expect During & Afterwards
Die-Off Support when Starting Probiotics:
When you first start taking probiotics they can crowd out overgrown bacteria or produce antimicrobial conpounds that directly kill unwanted organisms.
This process is called "Die-off" or "Herx'ing" - a shortened term from "Jarisch-Herxheimer Reaction" named after the scientists who first detailed it.
When microbes die, they release toxins and cell debris that can make us feel sick in the short-term. Symptoms like diarrhea, headache, mental fog, and more can be normal when first starting. In many cases they dissipate in 1-5 days, but can persist.
Foremost this is a "healing" response - and sometimes a necessary evil to initiate change in the microbiome - but it is also a stress on the body that may already be stressed in the first place.
This is why it's generally recommended to start low and work your way up with probiotics and natural antimicrobial herbs - and add "die-off support" if you're still having trouble.
Here are some examples of common products used for die-off.
- MegaIgG2000 (serum-derived immunoglobulin concentrate) - the immunoglobulins in this product physically bind many of the toxins and wastes of concern.
- Megamucosa (L-Proline, L-Serine, L-threonine, L-cysteine, Serum-derived immunoglobulin concentrate, citrus bioflavonoids) - Healthy bacteria want a healthy home - so a healthy mucosal lining that is not inflamed is a good start! The amino acids work as building blocks for the mucosal layer of the gut, and the immunoglobulins and bioflavonoids are naturally anti-inflammatory.
- Candida Control (Cellulase, Protease, Broccoli seed extract, Lactobacilli probiotic blend) - this blend helps to digest wastes that are more specific to yeast/fungal die-off.
- Enzyme Defense Pro (Protease, Catalase, Nattokinase, Serratiopeptidase, Mucolase, L-lysine, D3, Calcium, Magnesium) - this blend helps to digest wastes with bacterial die-off - and potentially some viral proteins.
- Interfase Plus (Polysaccharide specific enzymes, Glucoamylase [with isomaltase side chain activity], Chitosanase, Cellulase, Hemicellulase / Pectinase complex, Beta-glucanase, Protein and peptide specific enzymes, Protease/Peptidase Complex with endopeptidase, exopeptidase, and DPP-IV activity, other enzymes, Lysozyme [from egg white], serratia peptidase [enteric coated], EDTA [as disodium EDTA]) - Strong! Can both initiate die-off, but also help support die-off.
- Activated Charcoal - Charcoal is porous like a sponge and conveniently binds many toxins and wastes and helps eliminate them from the body via the stool.
- Liver G.I. Detox (alpha lipic acid, n-acetyl-l-cysteine, turmeric extract, milk thistle extract, broccoli sprout concentrate, artichoke extract, taurine, glycine, L-glutamine, L-methionine, chlorella powder) - provide much needed liver support to assist with extra detoxification needs.
- Liposomal Glutathione
- Trizomal Glutathione
- Silymarin (Milk Thistle Extract)
- Theracurmin HP (bioavailable high-potency curcumin) - Curcumin is one of the most researched anti-inflammatory and detox supporting herbal extracts known. Theracurmin is the most bio-available and best tolerated form of curcumin.